SHYG (Senior High Youth Group)
For 9th – 12th Grades
SHYG Advisors and youth engage with a new to UUSS curriculum from the Created Equal program. Our congregation has chosen the theme “Confronting Economic Inequality” for our social justice focus this church year. Offering this curriculum on Class will enable the Senior High Youth Group (SHYG) to participate in our theme and reinforce the messages that families are hearing in the services and other events.
What is SHYG?
The UUSS Senior High Youth Group (SHYG) meets regularly on Sundays, during the service, from September through May for worship, fellowship and fun. SHYG is a safe and welcoming place for teens supported by the dedicated guidance of a team of experienced adult advisors. UUSS youth have been described as “respectful, caring, and supportive.”
What Does the SHYG Group Focus On?
The UUSS SHYG contains all six components necessary for a balanced youth program: worship, youth-adult relations, community building, social action, learning and leadership. Sessions aren’t strictly structured to fit one way. Sometimes they are adult-led but we often encourage youth to lead a session on a topic they are passionate about. Some topics include life as a Unitarian Universalist youth, current events, social event planning and popular movies. We talk about social issues that surround our culture today as well as have fun discussions on music in our life.
What Can a Group of High Schoolers and Other Young Adults Do?
The youth group makes connections with our adult congregation by attending Intergenerational Services, assisting church committees such as Religious Education, Green Sanctuary and Membership, and by nominating a Youth Member for the Board of Trustees. Also, what happens is things called YRUU Conferences or Con for short. Con is where teens come together across the Pacific Central District. Once at the conference, they gather in small groups over a weekend and share their spirituality and discuss important events pertaining social, religious, economic, and political problems of today.
How to Register?
No advance registration is required. If after two visits a teen would like to participate regularly, there is a Religious Education registration form in the foyer. Youth who are interested in checking out the UUSS youth program, may come on Sunday mornings to sign in at the Religious Education (RE) table. Please dress comfortably and be prepared to enjoy yourself and meet wonderful new friends.
For More Info…
For more information about the UUSS Sunday morning youth program, please contact our Religious Education coordinator.
SHYG Covenant 2016-2017
- RESPECT people and belongings/ no questions are stupid
- BE sensitive to others feelings and opinions
- Culture of consent/toolbox
- Uncomfortable- Clap over head, then everyone do the same.
- Physical- Cross arms over chest when you do not want to be touched
- safe word- COCONUT
4. We are a welcoming community, be accepting and reach out to people
5. Respect the space spiritually and physically
6. “one big glob of wonderfulness” (not hierarchal advisors and attendees on a lower playing field.
7. Participate when you feel comfortable
8. Don’t come to SHYG under the influence
9. Confidentiality within SHYG
10. Take responsibility for your own opinions, beliefs and boundaries
11. Turn off cell phones
12. Step up- step back : Be considerate of verbal time management
Words- Remember to take responsibility for what you say
- No hate language including negative words or stereotypes such as about, ethnicity, terrorist, race, religion, sexual preference, gender, ability level.
- Do not use words as a weapon
- No swearing excessively
- Do not use derogatory language related to body parts and racial slurs.